Bulgaria Industrial Production
(Source: Trading Economics-National Statistical Institute)

Bulgaria’s industrial output rises by 10.8%

313 views

Industrial production in Bulgaria grew 10.8% year-on-year in August, after an upwardly revised 8.6% in the previous month, the National Statistical Institute (NSI) said on Friday (Oct. 8). It was the 6th straight month of growth in industrial activity in the Balkan country and the fastest since May.

Output accelerated for electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply by 19.9% (vs 17.6% in July),
mining and quarrying by 15.8% (15.8% vs 6.2%) and manufacturing (8.9% vs 7.9%).

In the manufacturing, more considerable increase compared to the same month of the previous year was registered in the manufacture of computer, electronic and optical products by 52.4%, in other manufacturing by 43.5%, in the manufacture of textiles by 29.0%. Major decrease was seen in the manufacture of beverages by 31.7%, in the manufacture of basic metals by 21.6% and in the manufacture of other transport equipment by 11.6%.

On a monthly basis, industrial output rose by 1.8%, the highest rate since March, from the upwardly revised 0.9% in July, NSI said.

In August 2021, compared to July 2021, the seasonally adjusted Industrial Production Index rose in the mining and quarrying industry by 17.6%, in manufacturing by 1.1%, and in the electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply by 1.0%. The most significant increase in the manufacturing was seen in the manufacture of motor vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers by 21.8%, in the manufacture of textiles by 12.0%, in the manufacture of basic pharmaceutical products and pharmaceutical preparations by 10.0%. Major decrease was seen in the manufacture of tobacco products by 23.6%, in the manufacture of fabricated metal products, except machinery and equipment by 20.0%, in the manufacture of other transport equipment by 8.9%.

Meanwhile, in August industrial producer prices rose by 1.1% the EU, compared with July, according to estimates from Eurostat.

Industrial producer prices increased by 2.1% in the energy sector in the bloc, by 1.4% for intermediate goods, by 0.5% for capital goods and for durable consumer goods and by 0.3% for non-durable consumer goods. Prices in total industry excluding energy increased by 0.8%. The highest monthly increases in industrial producer prices were recorded in Bulgaria (+4.2%), Denmark (+3.1%) and Latvia (+2.6%), while decreases were observed only in Ireland (-4.1%) and Malta (-0.1%), the statistical office of the European Union said.

In August 2021, compared with August 2020, industrial producer prices increased by 13.5% in the EU.
Industrial producer prices increased by 31.2% in the energy sector, by 14.7% for intermediate goods, by 3.5% for durable consumer goods, by 3.1% for capital goods and by 3.0% for non-durable consumer goods. Prices in total industry excluding energy increased by 7.8%. The industrial producer prices increased in all Member States, with the highest yearly increases being registered in Ireland (+54.8%), Belgium (+23.9%) and Denmark (+23.8%).